Help and F.A.Q's
If you are having problems with the site or just need general assistance, this is one of the best places to get help. If you find that the answer to your question(s) isn't listed here, you may contact us
with your issue.
- How can I make a suggestion?
- Want to make a suggestion for Off The Ave? No problem! In order to make a suggestion, you must make a suggestion thread in the "Suggestions" forum by clicking here.
Remember, when making a suggestion, please be as detailed as possible.
- How can I get support?
- Generally, the best way to get help is through our forums. If we don't answer your question first, usually our members will. If you need general assistance or are having problems with the site, you can create a thread in the "Help & Assistance" forum by clicking here. For more in-depth support or personal matters, please contact us
Remember, when requesting help, please be as detailed as possible.
- What web browsers are compatible with Off The Ave?
- We have tested the following web browsers and confirmed their compatibility with Off The Ave:
Mozilla Firefox 3.x +
Internet Explorer 7+ (Will NOT display correctly for anything under I.E 7)
Google Chrome 4.1.x +
If you find that you are having browser incompatibility issues, we recommend downloading the latest version of FireFox or Google Chrome.
Also, the best resolution to browse the site with is a 1024 X 768 Resolution
- Name Changes / Name Modications
- Name changes and/or modifications are not allowed unless you were a member BEFORE OTA V2 and your name had spaces or illegal characters in it. Those that do have such characters will find themselves unable to edit some settings on OTA V2 until their name is changed correctly.
So if your name has any of these illegal characters and you are unable to update your settings, please make a post in this thread: Name Changes / Modification Info
After we receive your request, we will change your name, as long as there are no spaces or illegal characters (#,@,$,%,* etc.) in your new name.
- I can't login, or I forgot my username or password.
- If you can't login, check to make sure that your "caps lock" key is off. Your username and password are CaSe SeNsItIvE. If you still cannot login, you can request to reset your password or contact us.
- How can I update my profile?
- By clicking on any of the following links:
- How can I update my email address?
- By clicking here
- How can I delete my account?
- We'd hate to see you go, but if you need to delete your Off The Ave account, click here.
NOTE: This action CANNOT be un-done! Once you delete your account, your account is gone forever. That includes any uploads like mixtapes, singles, posts etc.
- Do I have to pay to listen?
- Nope. 100% free to listen.
- What are my upload limits?
- Currently, basic members have a 15MB limit per song and a 100MB per mixtape upload limit. Subscribers have an unlimited amount of mixtape/single uploads. Need more space? Consider upgrading your account.
- What song extensions can I upload?
- Currently only .mp3
- Am I able to download music?
- Yes, but it depends solely on if the uploader has selected their mixtape/song to be downloaded or not. You must have an Off The Ave account and be logged into in order to download.
- What is a bulletin board (forum)?
- A bulletin board is an online discussion site. It's sometimes also called a 'board' or 'forums'. It may contain several categories, consisting of forums, threads and individual posts.
- What are forum announcements?
- Announcements are special messages posted by the administrator or moderators. They are a simple one-way communication with the users and you can't reply. If you wish to discuss announcements, you will have to create a new thread in the forum.
Announcement threads are displayed at the top of forum listing pages, above regular and sticky threads.
- What are thread ratings?
- The forums allow you to rate threads between 1 star (terrible) and 5 stars (excellent). Once enough votes are cast for a thread, stars will appear next to its name in the listings. These show the average vote, and can be an easy way to see which threads are worth reading if you are on a busy forum.
On the forum viewing page you can also arrange threads by rating, with either the highest or lowest at the top.
It therefore makes sense to rate threads because it helps all users. To do this, click on the 'rate thread' link at the top of the thread viewing page. Choose the number of stars you feel best represents the quality of the thread. You may or may not be able to change your choice of rating at a later date.
- Message Icons and Thread Prefixes
- What are message icons?
Message Icons, also known as Post Icons, are small icons that appear in the title of your post. If your post is the first in a thread, then they also display in the thread listings. If the board administrator has enabled these, they can be found below the message box on the 'New Post' and 'New Thread' pages. Simply select the icon that you wish to use and this will be displayed before your thread title.
What are thread prefixes?
Thread Prefixes can be used to further identify your thread as containing a particular content in the forum. If your administrator has enabled these, you will see a box before the title box which contains a menu with the available prefixes for you to choose from.
- Creating and Participating in Polls
- You may notice that some threads on this forum also include a section where you can vote on an issue or question. These threads are called 'polls'.
How do I create a new poll?
When you post a new thread, you may also have the option to create a poll.
This allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.
An example poll might be:
What is your favorite color?
- Pink with yellow spots
To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes, post a poll with this thread' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.
When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.
You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it stays open for voting for only a week.
How do I vote in a poll and view the results?
To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the 'Vote!' button. Sometime you can choose more than one option. You can see the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.
Note whether or not a poll is a public poll. If it is, any votes you cast will be attributable to you.
Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully!
- Editing and Deleting your Posts
- Can I edit or delete my posts?
If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.
To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit Edit / Delete Message button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.
Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.
If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.
Can others edit my posts?
Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages. If they do, there may not be a note telling other users that the post was modified.
- Replying to a Post
- As a registered user you can go to a forum on a board where you have permission to view threads and leave replies. To reply you have a few options. You can click on the 'Post Reply' button Post Reply and add a new post to the end of the thread.
Alternatively, you can leave a quick reply in a quick editor box listed below the posts in the thread.
- What are pinned threads?
- 'Pinned' threads are created by moderators or administrators, and remain 'stuck' to the top of the listing, even if they haven't had any posts recently. Their purpose is to keep important information visible and accessible at all times.